The Cambridge Hotel

One of the most prominent buildings on the A30 in Camberley. The Cambridge hotel was built in 1862 by Captain Charles Raleigh Knight, a property speculator, in association with the development of the Military Academy which was across the road.

The area around the hotel became known as Cambridge Town but was renamed "Camberley" in January 1877 to avoid confusion by the General Post Office with the Cambridgeshire university town of the same name. Generally the fabric of the building has survived well, with only a few additions and changes from its origin, although the internal layout is much altered.

The Kremer prize was conceived in the Cambridge Hotel in 1959 after Henry Kramer toured a Microcell factory.

Comments are closed.